Signs Your HVAC Ducts May Need to Be Replaced

November 15, 2018

It doesn’t matter how energy-efficient your air conditioning unit or furnace is, unless the air can actually be distributed throughout your house. If your home’s HVAC ducts are damaged or defective, it will be more difficult and more expensive to keep your home at a comfortable temperature.

In a forced-air central HVAC system, the ductwork is responsible for moving the heated or cooled air throughout the home. According to, only about 80% of the air that goes into the average home’s ducts actually makes it all the way through them. The other 20% is lost through holes, leaks, or vents that aren’t connected right.

Benefits of new air ducts

A well-designed air duct system will maximize your HVAC equipment’s efficiency and keep your home at a comfortable, even temperature. A licensed HVAC technician can replacing damaged ducts or flexible ducts that have been crushed or torn, make sure the return air ducts are the correct size for your home, and seal all the connections between sections of ducts, registers, and vents,

How to tell if it’s time to replace your HVAC ducts.

Constantly dusty home
If your home has excessive amounts of dust, it could be a sign of leaky ducts. Leaks allow heated or cooled air to escape out of the ductwork, and dust and dirt to get in. This can damage your heating and cooling system, make your house difficult to clean, and even impact your family’s respiratory health.

Noisy central air system
If your home’s heating or cooling system makes a lot of noise, the ductwork could be undersized. A licensed HVAC technician can test your system and recommend the proper size ductwork, if that is indeed the problem.

Inconsistent room temperatures
If some rooms in your home are too hot and some are too cold, it may be because of a problem with the HVAC ducts. This is especially likely if the problem is new.

Mold in your ducts
Over time, moisture in your home’s air ducts can lead to mold. If you smell a strange odor coming from your air vents, have them checked for mold right away to avoid damage to your family’s health.

Age of your home
If your home is more than 10 years old, age may be a factor in replacing your air ducts. Most ductwork used in residential construction is chosen for low cost and not longevity. If your home was built prior to 1977, asbestos could have been used in your ductwork, which can pose serious health risks.

Visual inspection
If your ductwork wasn’t installed correctly to begin with, the ducts may not be aligned or sealed like they should be. This can cause even air ducts in newer homes to have a lot of leaks.

Have your ductwork tested
The best way to know if your air ducts need replaced is through a duct blower test. An HVAC technician will install pressure sensors in your home’s air ducts, then use a blower fan to pressurize the ducts. An air flow sensor in the blower calculates how much air is required to maintain the pressure. Then, the technician can calculate exactly how much air is leaking out of your duct system.

To schedule an HVAC duct inspection or duct blower test for your Wichita-area home, contact Reddi HVAC today at 316-462-2572.